Arty journeys...

LITTLE ARTY JOURNEYS . . . LOOKING CLOSER, SEEING DEEPER.

Thursday 20 October 2016

Colour and fruitfulness (A Coombe Wood walk)

In spite of it being quite a dull morning there was plenty of colour at Coombe Wood.

Prepared beds by the entrance. The gardener has been busy planting the beds further up - you'll see those later.


Reflections and quite a lot of fallen leaves in the pond.

On the way I had decided to have a closer look at the big orange leaves on the plant that I noticed on Monday. I'd seen it was twining itself through the trees but this morning I could see that it had gone a lot further than I first thought and was intermingled with most of the plants along the curved wall as well.

I have found out from the gardener that it's a Vitis Coignetiae (Crimson Glory Vine)


Oh - these look like small grapes! 

And up the trees these look even more like bunches of grapes. It says online that they are inedible. 

I think the patterns on the leaves are fabulous! 

Trying to get a better look at the dark purple bunches up the trees.

Beautifully patterned leaves cascading over the tall evergreens like a multi-coloured cloak on trees that don't usually have the pleasure of changing colour.

When looking up this plant online later on I discovered that another name for it is Claret Cloak.

Further along the path a low shrub's tiny leaves are turning the same bright red as the berries.

The little low acer with slender leaves is turning colour a bit more.

Vibrant orange.

Berberis berries and burgundy coloured leaves. 

Tiny fluffy seeds. 

It's very hard to get along most of the paths between the prairie beds.

The sun came out briefly while I was looking closer at the pink tufty flowers - many are fluffy seeds now.



Another overgrown pathway among the flowers and grasses.

Various stages of coneflower decomposition. 



There was a glimpse or two of blue sky. 

 Orange berries and deep red leaves.

The remains of the beautiful heart. I'm surprised so much of it is still there - it was quite breezy this morning.

Looking at those cascading clambering leaves from the other side of the trees.

Unusual buds.





Korean pine cone disintegrating. and spreading seeds. 

Many more still in tact.

It wasn't till I was taking photos of the colourful leaves that I noticed the masses of red berries in the background.

First fungi at Coombe Wood that I've noticed. I've been looking in all the places where they grew last year but there's nothing. I nearly tripped over these little ones while looking at something else.

Colourful leaves

and seeds. 





The "burning bush" is nearly empty. 


Strange how some fallen leaves curl length-ways. 

More colour








Now I'm at the beech tree wondering if the huge damage to it will heal. I had a look at other places where branches had broken off or been cut down and was surprised at the different ways the tree has healed.

One place has healed as deep hole that people pop things into. I've seen it filled with pine cones and pebbles, as well as toys sitting in it and even Easter eggs. There are a few pine cones, some pebbles and water in there at the moment - and spiders webs,

I got distracted looking at the damage. 

Then I noticed how complex the trunk is and how intertwined the huge branches are.

Back to the healed wounds. A flat one with a ridge around it. 

and a domed one with lines on. 

Curly teasels. 

Hydrangea petals beginning to turn into skeletons. 


There are still plenty of colourful flowers and more buds waiting to open

and the cosmos flowers are still looking beautiful.


This flower looked as if it was glowing.

Bee rummaging - pollen covered legs. 

I wonder when these tufty flowers came out?

Pale pastel lilac iris buds turning white as they open.


Michaelmas daisies. 


Here we are at the top bed which has been planted.

These look synthetic - the red is so strong. 

Another planted bed.

There aren't so many leaves left on the orange tree now and quite a few are floating in the pond.

Looking closer at leaves remaining on the branches. 

Thank you very much for joining me. 

2 comments:

  1. beautiful photos Angela! I love the vitus - a gorgeous crimson indeed, with it's fabulous berries, a much richer colour than the ones I see at Kew!

    ReplyDelete