Arty journeys...

LITTLE ARTY JOURNEYS . . . LOOKING CLOSER, SEEING DEEPER.

Monday 8 October 2018

Monday morning Walk (Coombe Wood)

In Oaks Road on my way to Coombe Wood I was surprised to see three deer run across the road in front of my car. I was glad that the speed limit in Oaks Road is 20mph now and I expect the driver behind me was probably quite pleased they hadn't overtaken me. Any faster and either of us could have slammed into a deer!

The gardener has started clearing the front flower bed. Although it's a shame to dig all of this abundance out, there's a lot to do before the new plants are arriving in two weeks time. 

The gardener explained that some beds will be mulched, some fertilised, some rotavated. He has a system so that they don't all have to be done every year. While we chatted a heron was being chased by crows overhead. It eventually settled behind the pond.

The Strawberry Tree flowers are turning brown and there are signs that tiny "fruit" is just beginning to form.

By now it was becoming more overcast - but the yellow flowers in the prairie planting looked cheerful.


Golden rain tree pods taking on a red blush. 

A mistletoe ball - more visible now the leaves are falling.

Long twisty seed pods - I missed the flowering of these this year for some reason.

Continuing to watch the banana flower. The one is further advanced and much rounder than the other one.

Candlyfloss tree in the distance (like a burning bush).  

Many leaves have fallen now - leaving a pool of beautiful colour around the base.

I picked up some of the leaves - the scent of candyfloss was very strong.

I had already walked past here onve wondering why there weren't any fungi this year - but walked back round from a different direction and could see three varieties. These are the puffballs - the others were all in deep shadow and I didn't get good photos of them. 

Spindle berries vibrant colours! 

More cosmos buds ready to open. I love their feathery foliage.

Colourful herbaceous border. 

This tree is draped in such an abundance of winged seeds

Gorgeous rich purple! 

Back to the flowerbed at the front - some quick photos before the gardener gets to this bit!


The bee (just to the right of the centre) made the stem bounce dramatically when it landed.

Hops

Tiny succulents in the trough - only about the size of a 5p piece!

Colouful vine leaves. 

I don't think I've ever seen these before. I though the leaves were changing colour but these are flowers.

Looking closer - raspberry red and creamy lemon yellow pod-like flowers.


More vine leaves. 

Among all the flower heads on this plant a bright little one was putting in a late appearance.

Back to the vine leaves again - beautiful patterns. 

Evidence of the gardeners work. 

A few more quick photos before all of this vanishes ready for the new plants.


Thank you very much for joining me. 




1 comment:

  1. great pics! tried to comment at work from my phone but it's signed me out of google! Love the yellow flowers in the prairie planting.

    ReplyDelete