Arty journeys...

LITTLE ARTY JOURNEYS . . . LOOKING CLOSER, SEEING DEEPER.

Sunday 7 October 2018

Friday 5th October - including another unexpected Coombe Wood walk.

When I looked out of the window first thing the garden was shrouded in mist. I really wished I could head for Coombe Wood for a misty walk but I had a hospital appointment. 

Only the nearest buildings were visible on the journey to the hospital but I was there for a couple of hours and when I made the return journey the mist had cleared. The sky was blue and the view from upstairs on the bus was brilliant. I am fascinated by this building - the colours looked good in the sunshine.

Thanks to WhatsApp, messages were flying back and forth. Would I like to meet my daughter's mother-in-law and my son-in-law for lunch at the Coach House Cafe? Yes definitely.

I arrived about half an hour early and had a short walk - but first I stood by the pond watching a flurry of dragonfly pre-mating activity. None of these photos are particularly good - their wings move so fast as they twist and turn but they do hover so occasionally I caught a body in focus. 







I've never seen so many dragonflies together before.

Autumn Crocus

Golden Rain Tree pods even darker and Judas Tree with clusters of seed pods high up.

Fuzzy topped hydrangea with serated petal edges. 

Banana flower - getting smaller and smaller as more of those thick petals open and drop off. When they've dried out a bit on the ground under the tree and gone quite brown their texture feels a bit like foam underlay for laminate flooring.

Someone had been creating artistic patterns.

Unfortunately the "artist/s" had scraped the grass away, for several of these, to make clear circular areas to create their patterns in.


Webs.


I had a quick look at the Candyfloss tree - there was quite a strong scent of candyfloss this time.

It was later in the day than my usual time - most of the tree was in shadow but the sun kindly broke through and lit up a few leaves.

On my way back to the gate to meet the others I passed some flowers a friend had commented on the other day - took a quick photo. These are more purple in real life than they are in the photo.

The Golden Rain Tree again - glorious!

While we were having a lovely lunch, surprisingly out in the courtyard in the warm sunshine, I noticed these growing against the wall. I still don't know what they are.


We had a short walk together - and had a look at the banana flower, and the candyfloss tree - which again was in shade but the sun managed to break through to light up a couple of leaves.

We came across a blocked path where a large branch had come down.

Some of the cosmos flowers are fading but the bees were busy and there are still loads of buds getting ready to come out.

Cosmos and asters. 

Glossy red berries 

It was lovely to spend some relaxed time with my son-in-law and his mum.

Later on, back home again, the sky was dramatic with streaks of cloud 

and even later there was a subtle sunset. 

Thank you very much for joining me. 

1 comment:

  1. the dragonflies are amazing! love the sunset too.

    ReplyDelete