Arty journeys...

LITTLE ARTY JOURNEYS . . . LOOKING CLOSER, SEEING DEEPER.

Friday 9 November 2018

Experiment with Autumn leaves and banana flowers

I need to clear up the leaves I collected at Coombe Wood and the banana flowers. Hard to part with them - yes I know it's weird but they are so interesting!

First of all I took some photos - not unusual!

These are some of the outer, more developed banana flowers, which have been drying out for a week.

I love the curls! 

Some of the leaves I picked up yesterday. 






I had a thought - I've been meaning to try eco-dyeing since some of the people in my art group met to do some eco-dyeing but I wasn't able to join them. Now seemed like a good time to try it!

I washed some strips of muslin. I'm sure I have something with a closer weave but I don't know where it is at the moment so muslin will have to do.

I spread the strip of material out and arranged the leaves on it, then rolled the fabric around a short length of hazel branch and tied everything in place.

I put some dried banana flowers and fresher ones from under the fleshy petals, as well as some of those big "petals" onto the second strip of fabric 

and tied up that bundle. 

Both in the saucepan.

Beginning to boil. 

While the two bundles were boiling I had a closer look at the big leaf that I'd picked up yesterday at Coombe Wood.



Tiny hairs on the back make it feel like suede.

Half an hour of boiling - lid off for a quick peep. Things are happening - an hour and a half to go. 

Friends have told me stories of experiments with dyeing with natural materials that involve very smelly kitchens. Fortunately I seem to have chosen plant materials that smell quite pleasant! 

Results will follow whatever they are - I do hope there's something to show for this! First the mixture has to cool down naturally. I'll be back later.

Thank you very much for joining me. 




2 comments:

  1. I look forward to the results - a few people I know do this kind of thing (with mixed results it has to be said) so can't wait! You certainly picked up some pretty leaves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Results not impressive but a very useful experiment. I will write about it later on.

      Delete