Arty journeys...

LITTLE ARTY JOURNEYS . . . LOOKING CLOSER, SEEING DEEPER.

Tuesday 1 May 2018

Extraordinary day of walking - Selsdon Wood and Coombe Wood twice.

I wanted to see some bluebells before it was too late so headed to Selsdon Wood.  


Tree shadows. 

New leafy shoots on the tall trees. 

Then on to Coombe Wood to see if the tulips have recovered after yesterday's wind and torrential rain.


Some are still bowed down but most have sprung up again.



Yesterday this path had been under an inch or so of water.

A yellow butterfly danced around me all the way along the path before settling, almost invisible on these leaves. (Middle of the photo)

Bright sunshine lit up flowers everywhere. I had to take my coat off, it was so warm.


The acer flowers.

Allium. 

 Golden Rain Tree leaves. 

Judas tree blossom like garlands threaded on wires.

I love these - specially against the blue sky. 


Evidence of the gardener at work. 

Korean pine cones - masses of them. 

I wish I knew what this is - I keep forgetting to ask the gardener.



Lovely light coming through the tender leaves. 

Small tree on the left is the one with heart shaped leaves.

Several of these were lit up by a shaft of sunlight.

Rhododendrons - I find it interesting how dark the buds are and how pale the petals end up being.

Azalea - strong scented. 

Rhododendron bud.

Sunlit big trumpets of rhododendrons. 

Strange buds. 

Sunlit ferns uncurling. 

The tiny buds that were covered in glittering raindrops yesterday, looking quite different today against the blue sky.

Spindleberry buds. 

Gorgeous colours in the sun. 


 Some more rhododendrons. 


I met the gardener - he was working in one of the flower beds. He mentioned some red ferns he had moved - I hadn't seen them so went round to have a look. I had walked past them before but hadn't noticed them - too busy looking up the tree that will have enormous leaves, to see if the purple flowers were emerging yet - they weren't. 

Red ferns. 

A breeze caught up a flurry of tiny pink petals and showered me with them.

I wandered around the tulips again and was pleased to bump into a friend from my old church as I was about to leave. 



Not long after I got home I received a message from a friend asking if I would like to meet her at Coombe Wood later in the afternoon......yes of course! I arrived a little early. The bulrushes were in the sunshine.



The afternoon sun seemed to make the colours deeper. 













My friend arrived and we enjoyed tea and large slices of delicious cake in the Coach House cafe before having a walk. 




Thank you very much for joining me. 


2 comments:

  1. I bet you were ready to put your feet up when you got home from the afternoon... what a great day. Love the bluebells in the woods. Glad the tulips have recovered from all that rain on Monday. Fabulous photos of course, but I think my favourite is the blossom against the glorious blue sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha - yes! And feeling it today - extra stiff - but it was so worth it to absorb all that beauty.

      Delete