Arty journeys...

LITTLE ARTY JOURNEYS . . . LOOKING CLOSER, SEEING DEEPER.

Monday 29 January 2018

Fragrance at Coombe Wood

This morning I read this . . . "God has a great sense of smell. The fragrance of your worship pleases Him. He inhales your gratitude and calls it a sacrifice. The strong aroma of your strong praises causes His heart to swell. You are His and when your thanksgiving tells Him so, it brings Him glory, Your joy becomes the ecstasy of eternity...." What a thought! During my walk I was reminded of what I'd read over and over again as I was bombarded with delightful fragrances. Many times I stood still and breathed deeply and enjoyed an extended meditation on what I had read earlier on.

As I parked the car I saw several quite large winged insects swirling and darting in the air, their wings illuminated by the sunlight.

I noticed unusual crisscrossing ripples on the pond and looked for the cause. I was surprised to see the gardener in the middle of the pond clearing the pump.


I could smell the pine trees as I walked along the narrow path and above the Courtyard of the Coach House Cafe, I was hit by a sweet aroma. Turning the corner I discovered where it was coming from - these tiny white flowers. How do such small flowers fill the air with such a delicious scent? 

Crocuses - lovely purple veins on the tightly closed buds at the base.

More scent here - the mahonias are opening up. 

The daffodils are growing rapidly.

Drifts of snowdrops. 

I walked into another heavily scented area - and searching around for the source I found these pink flowers.

Passing the banana trees in their winter protection. 

More snowdrops. 

Heavily scented witch hazel - garlands of little explosions.


More of those little scented white flowers and a bee at work.

A sea of tufty seed pods. 

Another pocket of scent beyond the herbaceous borders. These are like the little white ones but are a little bit bigger and have pink bases.

Busy bee. 

I heard the splash as a fish jumped but didn't see it - then saw another one rise up out of the water probably snapping a low flying insect.

Last look at the pond before leaving.  

Thank you very much for joining me. 




2 comments:

  1. I can only imagine all the delicious scents, as I have a cold at the moment; but great photos fore-telling Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that you have a cold. Hope you get better soon. Yes it's wonderful to see the hints of Spring!

      Delete