Arty journeys...

LITTLE ARTY JOURNEYS . . . LOOKING CLOSER, SEEING DEEPER.

Saturday 18 May 2019

Selsdon Wood with my neighbour and one of my daughters.

It was a dull morning on Friday and there was moisture in the air when my neighbour and I set off to find the second pond in Selsdon Wood - we'd found the first one on a previous walk. My daughter, who is much more familiar with the area joined us a little while into our walk and took us to the pond.

The light was poor - the photos aren't very good but here's a glimpse of the pond. No wonder we hadn't seen it before - it was very well hidden!

Fungi. 

We watched a robin enjoying a bath. 


Tree canker? (Very knobbly.)


Tree being hugged (or strangled!)

On her way to meet us my daughter had noticed a tree with some fascinating markings on it that she thought I would be intereste in. She was right!


They reminded me of cave paintings. 

Or hieroglyphics.

Or graffiti.


Carved by insects.

Yes - I got carried away photographing it. I found the markings strangely beautiful - and it made me want to find out a bit about the insects that did this. I have discovered that although bark beetles can kill a tree most of them live in dead, weakened or dying trees. 


Thank you very much for joining me.

No comments:

Post a Comment