Arty journeys...

LITTLE ARTY JOURNEYS . . . LOOKING CLOSER, SEEING DEEPER.

Monday 18 June 2018

Cornwall continued (Tuesday 5th June)

It had rained overnight and was quite a grey morning with some sea mist. I had a long and very enjoyable early morning walk.


Returning for breakfast. The two downstairs windows - my bedroom for a week.

With the weather as it was we decided it was a good day for a trip to St Ives, starting with Tate St Ives where we wandered looking at all the artwork. It was lovely to be told that we could take photos anywhere in the gallery. There had always been areas where photography was banned when I had been there before.

"Large Black Landscape" by Jean Dubuffet grabbed my attention because although it's not a painting of anywhere in this country it seemed to reflect the rocky terrain of the tin mining area where we were staying. I like the way the artist had built up layers and scratched into them.

Later that day when we were back at Priests Cove I was surprised to find a stone (about 10x5x4cms) which reminded me of the layers and scratching of that painting.

"Green, Black and White Movement" an abstract by Terry Frost, makes me wonder if it was influenced by boats rocking or channels for a water feature - I can imagine water running down and overflowing from each tilted container. I wonder what other people see.

Looking out at Porthmeor Beach from the Gallery.

"A conversation with Light and Form" by Rana Begum. This large gallery space had white walls with delicate fishing nets painted in bright colours and a white table with white plaster containers on. The fishing nets made wonderful geometric patterns on the wall. The abstract plaster forms were inspired by floats. This artwork was a response to the light and location of the artist's recent residency at Porthmeor Studios, St Ives. It produced quite a strong emotional response in me - I loved  the ovewhelming whiteness and the gentle peacefulness of the room, although plenty of other viewers were there. I was quite surprised to get this picture with no one in it!

I have always loved this window. It is large and bright and transforms the light in this gallery space as the sun moves around and casts lovely patterns on the floor. There were barely any patterns today though as it was quite cloudy but the window always looks bright.

On to the Barbara Hepworth Museum and Sculpture Garden. I love this place - particularly the sound of the church bell and the gulls crying and the fact that although it's called a museum it's all so full of life.

I like the colour and balance of this one. It's very similar in shape to the bronze piece in Tate St Ives.

There are piles of stone in the garden waiting to be carved. 

The garden workshops are filled with carvings and tools and look as if Barbara Hepworth has popped out and will be coming back soon to carry on working.




I'm not too sure about the renovations - the sculptures in the garden all look a bit too pristine at the moment but I do understand that they need to be protected from the elements.

However the renovated surfaces idraw my attention to the curve of the edges - they're not quite as I imagined them.

One of my favourites - "River Form" - water collects inside this sculpture and creates wonderful reflections.


A closer look at the surface of one of the sculptures which I had seen being restored on a video before going away.

I've always liked the idea of stitching unusual materials (and have stitched wood and metal among other things) - these threads are stitched through the bronze.

Wooden carvings and tools. 

Back to the cottage - still cloudy and grey.

Big grass seed heads - low tide.

Bud

These might be what come from the bud above.

Looking closer at kidney vetch - fluffy among the petals

Sea mist rolling in.

Fisherman in a pedal boat 

a lot of fish came out of the boat.

Any more in there?

Seagulls congregating hopefully

Washing out the boat

Tipping out the water

Disappearing horizons.

Night view - lights across the bay towards Lands End. 

Thank you very much for joining me. 
more to come.....

1 comment:

  1. wow! some beautiful photos again - I've never been to Tate St Ives - not even sure if I've been to St Ives, full stop - or Barbara Hepworth - but what beauties...I love the work by Rana Begum, and some of Hepworth's , especially the ones you can look through. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete