Arty journeys...

LITTLE ARTY JOURNEYS . . . LOOKING CLOSER, SEEING DEEPER.

Monday 2 October 2017

Are you bored? (strange question on a Monday morning Coombe Wood walk)

A breezy morning made taking photo of plants more challenging - everything was moving!

The fallen branch in the pond is still there minus most of its leaves. I mentioned it to the gardener later on and commented that most of the rest of the leaves that are still on the tree will probably end up in the pond too - but the gardener said that at least they have the chance of blowing away before falling in the pond. He is hoping the branch will be cleared away soon.

Several of the flower beds have been cleared ready for the Autumn planting. I thought I'd better get a photo of this one, it will probably be empty when I go there again.

The vine is changing colour very quickly now - I liked the shape and colour of this nibbled leaf. 

Looking up the tree that the vine is clambering through I was surprised to see all the grapes.


 Spiders web - this one has plenty of dropped stitches.

Silk Tree leaves and seed pods. 

Strawberry tree fruits.

Prairie beds.

A team of tree surgeons were working on several of the trees. An elm was being cut back to allow room for another tree which was being smothered. The fallen branch from the big beech tree was being cut up and some lower branches from a tree near the little hut were being removed.

 Korean pine cones. 

Sweet chestnuts (I think)

I'm so glad I photographed this tree last week when it was at its best - this is all that is left of those flame like leaves.


Spindle-berries - the other kind still aren't showing any signs of opening yet.

Tiny white fuchsias with tendrils from sweet pea plants curling around them. 

One of the empty flower beds waiting for the next plants.

Fading leaves - but what an incredible way to fade! Burgundy and cream with almost luminous red stems and edging around the leaves.

 There are still quite a lot of flowers in the herbaceous borders - more cosmos 

and soft pink, layered flower (and pastel lemon flower in the background).

 Splashes of bright orange. 

I could hear the chain saw through the hedge over by the big beech tree and headed back to pass it for a second time.


One of the tree surgeons asked me if I was bored - "No, not at all. Why?" "You seem to be wandering about taking photos." I explained that I come often and thoroughly enjoy taking photos through the seasons. Then I walked on thinking what a strange question! "Are you bored?" (Definitely not!)

Heading back to the flower beds near the entrance the berries are deepening in colour

 Ivy berries forming.

The gardener clearing another flower bed. 

I walked around the curved courtyard to see what the vine looks like from the other side. There are some gorgeous colourful leaves.

Nasturtium flower.


Ah yes! There's a very good view of the vines from this side and a much better view of the grapes as they are much closer.



In fact there are grapes hanging over the notice board. (No idea if they are edible.)

The hops are turning a pale rusty colour. 


Heading towards the gate - pretty fuchsias. 

 Gorgeous deep purple. 

Gardener still hard at work, clearing out the summer bedding plants.

Thank you very much for joining me. 

6 comments:

  1. Well I am never bored looking at them, so please keep taking them!! yes, a very strange question indeed. (must put my glasses on more often at home, had to enlarge the pic to see the web!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous photos, and I can only assume that the tree surgeon himself would find it boring to walk around taking photos! Obviously no imagination, or appreciation of the beauty around him! Hopefully, one day, when he's past being able to climb trees, he will realise what he was missing at ground level!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I hope one day he won't find it all boring at ground level!

      Delete
  3. Lovely Angela.....still plenty colour. It's like the plants and trees are having their last fling for a while. I love the autumn colours. I guess one or two nights of frost and it will all change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes still plenty of colour - and you're right the frost will change everything - but things will be beautiful in a different way then won't they. I'm looking forward to watching all the changes.

      Delete