Arty journeys...

LITTLE ARTY JOURNEYS . . . LOOKING CLOSER, SEEING DEEPER.

Friday 26 July 2019

Coombe Wood (refreshing walk in rain and thunder)

After the extreme heat we've had over the past few days today's rain and rumbling thunder was very refreshing.



Love this colour! 

What a lot of silk tree flowers there are going to be! 

Echinops

The gardener has been working hard to cut back the plants that were overflowing the paths among the prairie planting.





So much to see here - it's not a very big space but I can spend ages wandering along the pathways looking at all the different plants, specially now that it's possible to walk along them again without fear of damaging the plants.



The thalictrum is quite a bit taller than me. 

I love the little bubble-like flowers against the robust echinaceas




The Golden Rain Tree is flowering. 

Although it was raining the bees didn't mind 

Glowing morning glory. The drops of water seem to change the colour.


This is a funny one! I haven't noticed it before. 

Wet Cosmos middle. 

Sumach flower.

Water droplets on leaves.

I like these starry seed pods. I wish I knew what the plant is! 

The hydrangea looked as if it was glowing.


Cornus - papery petals (bracts). The middle will go red eventually - no sign of that yet though.

Odd sunflower! 


Pink and pink! 

Can you see the little bit of yellow - right of centre? That's the gardeners safety mask (not sure if that's what it's called but it will have to do) He was cutting something at the back of the border.

Pale creamy trumpets all facing in the same direction. 

Golden sunflower. 


Very attractive to the bees. 

 Another strange sunflower. This one had a very peculiar middle and short curled petals.

It was raining quite hard now. I was glad of my umbrella to protect my camera - but I didn't mind getting wet - it was very nice to feel cool after the excessive heat of the last few days.

A couple more quick photos as I headed back to the gate.

It's all so colourful now - even on a dull day when it's raining!





Thank you very much for joining me. 

2 comments:

  1. wow, what gorgeous photos.. ilove the thalictrum in with the echinacea! they're my favourite shots today. I hope you weren't in your flipflips!! as the forecast has changed from heavy rain to light showers today I am going to Kew after all - was afraid I would have to give it a miss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes I think the thalictrum and echinacea is my favourite too.
      Yes flip flops! Ihaven't worn anything else all summer - except wellies once when I was away camping last week - then gave up and went back to getting wet but being comfortable in flip flops.

      Delete